Monday, August 16, 2010

Coping with Wedding Jealousy and Competitiveness?

Ok - I have admitted and accepted that I am jealous or perphaps more envious of my fiances brother getting married this weekend. We had to push our wedding back so it will now be in 2 years (financial reasons - we will just be more financially set if we do it in two years and we are not having a big wedding). Anyway, as the wedding has drawn closer I have become more jealous that they are now getting what I wanted (getting married) and that his wife will get to become part of the family way earlier than I do. I realize these feelings are irrational and not worth it, because the situation is what it is and I want to be happy for them and not live in jealously until we get to be married, but how do I cope with this jealousy? Also,we are very close in age (2 years apart) and I'm worried about the comptitive and jealous side in me will constantly be competing with them as far as having children and being jealous when they have them before me. Can you suggest any techniques to cope?Coping with Wedding Jealousy and Competitiveness?
I have three suggestions: first, make a lovely, long list of everything you're grateful for in your life. Stick bits of your list in your wallet and on your desk at and on the fridge to remind yourself that there are many wonderful things in your life. I know that method helps me to keep things in perspective.





Second, you have to resolve not let jealousy govern your relationship with this woman. Resolve to be kind. The worse you feel, the more considerate you should be. I know some people think that's insincere, but I don't. You know you're being illogical, right, and you want to stop feeling so jealous and gross. If you're petty and spiteful in your behavior, you'll feel pettier and more spitefull--and she'll likely respond in such negative ways that you'll find yourself having good reasons to dislike her. On the other hand, if you're kind, she'll likely be kind in return. You can get to know each other better and you'll find more reasons to like her.





Finally, consider her wedding a learning experience. Offer to help. Figure out what worked and what didn't. That way your wedding can be the best wedding possible. It doesn't have to be bigger or better than hers, just the best version of your own dream wedding.





Good luck.Coping with Wedding Jealousy and Competitiveness?
go for a walk, do some exercising, smoke some pot (not my style but hey it works for some ppl. i know)
find a new boyfriend, sounds too complex for me

No comments:

Post a Comment