Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How to deal with jealousy in the workplace!!??!!?

To make a long story short, right now in my life I am juggling living between two different places that are very far apart. I spend about 6 months between places at a time. So the story goes, I have a job in both places. This year makes the 2nd time I have came and gone back. My job in both places have told me that they will always take me back, so I contact them when I get either place and begin work again. It's not like I'm in a career with a wonderful position, I work as a desk clerk at a hotel in one place and for a customer service hot-line in the other place. But this time I have noticed some hostility from my coworkers, whom I used to be really close to. They act like I'm being put on a pedestal or something by my bosses taking me back. Here's the situation, both jobs are always looking for people to work because they can never keep enough people at one time. I take the odd hours working swing shifts, I take the base pay when I come back, and the reason they always take me back is because I always do a great job, I can onto things very quickly, I never call in, and all around, not being conceited, but I'm a good person to have employed. But again, my coworkers are acting a little snobbish to me and making remarks in a joking way to me, and I know they're really not joking about it. So is it really that big of a deal that I can come and go? I mean this is not a career, this is your basic job requiring no higher education, making minimum wage. And like I said, they always need someone when I come, if they didn't, I would never expect them to give me my job back. My bosses fully understand that I only plan to stay 6 months at a time and they are ok with this. Really, what is there to be jealous of? I'm not choosing to live this life and would give up anything to be in one place permanently!!!! So how can I cope when they are making me feel uncomfortable in a place I used to love?How to deal with jealousy in the workplace!!??!!?
1) They may be reacting to your opinion of the job %26amp; them:





This IS their ';career,'; %26amp; the most they can earn, HS may be their only education.





Don't convey your feelings, that this type of job is BS, to your coworkers who are there year after year. If they had a better opportunity (%26amp; the skills) they'd be someplace else.





When rehired, tell everyone that you missed them %26amp; the job and you're glad to be back. Don't make the other city %26amp; job seem better. Act like it doesn't exist (because for them, it doesn't) and get into being where you are at the moment.





2) Stop the ';jokes'; by smiling, lowering your voice, and directly saying that you don't appreciate the jokes because you need this job when in town and ';anyway, I'm so happy to see you all again, it's been a long 6 months.';





They feel flat-left and maybe forgotten while you're away. Do you ever keep in touch, or do you expect them to pick up where your friendship was after you dropped off the face of the earth and just decided to return?





Watch what vibes you're giving out. Good Luck.How to deal with jealousy in the workplace!!??!!?
Maybe theyd like to be in the same situation, living in two different places, i would love that myself.
i really can't see this lasting for long. it's not big enough to not get old fast.


are you SURE this is the reason they're acting this way? are you flirty with your boss?

No comments:

Post a Comment