Friday, August 20, 2010

Coping with the emigration of a family member?

I would like to hear some personal stories of people who have 'lost' a family member through emigration. Next year my sister will be emigrating to the other site of the world and it will be years before I will see her again. I don't know how to cope with it. Right now I'm feeling a mixture of anger, dissappointment, jealousy, fear and sadness... I want her to be happy ofcourse, but I can't help hoping the emigration will fail...Coping with the emigration of a family member?
I am the member of my family that ';emigrated';. Although I didn't go far geographically (PA/USA to Quebec/CAN) the border, the language barriers, and the many other differences caused a lot of hardships. My husband is French Canadian, and the only way we could be together was for me to move up here.





I would say talk to her. Let her know how you are feeling and how much you care for her and will miss her.





My family didn't give me that before my marriage. They brought it up after I had already moved and was not liking my new home country.





Moving to another country is a very difficult thing to do. It provides a variety of challenges and I can assure you that your sister will learn a lot. She will also need someone to call/email/write frequently during that adjustment phase. If you are able to discuss this situation now and come to a resolution and maybe even extend an olive branch to her and state you'd love for her to call you often, I would think your bond would grow deeper.





I know the people that have helped me through the most were not the ones I expected to help me adjust. I've been here 4 years and i'm still not adjusted. I still get home sick for the USA even though theoretically I could cross the border whenever I wanted. My family is 7 hours away but the border is only 1 hour away.





I long to move back to the USA but don't know when it will happen. I just know without people from home to talk to I'd be even more miserable than I am now. Those people are my lights and my strength.





Try being her strength. Don't try to get her to come home, but be there to learn with her as she faces new challenges. If/When she does come back think of how strong your bond will be? Its better to grow closer together and make the most out of her emmigration rather than cause a rift between you.

No comments:

Post a Comment