Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Due 2nd baby any day now....how did your 1st child cope with the new arrival?

just wanted to know, i have a 2 1/2 yr old boy, due to have a girl any day now and just wanted to know from others who have children how their little ones coped with a new bub in the house and loosing some of ';mummy time';. My little boy loves attention and will be naughty just to get it, is their anything i should do to minimize the jealousy that may come from him when bub comes along???





thanks for your help.Due 2nd baby any day now....how did your 1st child cope with the new arrival?
My son was 2 when i had our second an he loved it he was up at the hospital in the waiting room with his aunty and uncle wait for me to have his brother (which we didnt know as we did not find out) When he first saw him it was amazing. really hard to explain. he has been really helpful like he likes to get his nappy at changing time and loves to cuddle and play with him now that his brother is 8mths My son is a good big brother great infact but you do have to watch as some kids smother babies without even meaning to while they are having cuddles or by sitting on them etc. Keep him involved with your newborn as I think that by even helping a little ie getting nappie will make him feel included and important. Good Luck Due 2nd baby any day now....how did your 1st child cope with the new arrival?
my son was also 2 1/2 when his little sister was born. He loves her to death and i have yet to have any problems with him. he does get jealous but he doesn't act out to get the attention he needs or wants.





one thing that i have always told people if they were coming over is to address HIM first. tell him hi, give him a hug, talk to him for a few, BEFORE oohing and aaahing over the new baby. and a few of my friends actually ignored him a little while they were here and i called them out on it. just make sure he feels included. let him hold her if he wants (obviously with you sitting right there) my little guy loves to help with diaper changes. he gets me her diaper, wipes, stays to watch, then he even wants to throw the diaper away. he gets tickled when she poops...';eeew Ava pooped'; typical boy i guess.
Hello. My son was 23 months when my 2nd son was born, who is now 5 weeks old. The first week was hard, as my now 2 year old didn't quite understand why this new baby has joined our household. After the first week, I'd say he was pretty much adjusted. He's now wonderful with the baby, I'd have to say there is no jealousy. He now understands that mommy for the most part has the baby in her arms all day, and he's okay with that. And he's become much more social with everyone else who comes around. It' s probably his way of getting attention that he's no longer getting from me. But it's working out great for us, good luck to you.
My son is 3 and since we found out about this pregnancy we talk to him about being a big brother and when i buy something for the baby I buy something for him too. to make it fair and for him to feel that he isnt being left out. Let him help you get the crib together and buy things for the baby. When the baby is sleeping make special time for him and read to him or do crafty stuff. Good luck
My son was 2 years and 5 months old when I had my daughter. I had a present (a tonka truck) wrapped up from his sister to him when he came to the hospital. At first he wanted to ignore her, but he was really protective of her. I think it took about 3 weeks for my son to decide that she was o.k.





I think they just want to know that they are still important to mommy and daddy.
the newborn will sleep alot so he will have plenty of mommy time to slowly get used to the baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment